Sunday, February 28, 2010

Hi, My name is.......




Hello All,
I'm Kristen, and I'm so excited to be apart of this storyboard community, and thanks for the warm welcome. I am a storyboard artist based in Chicago, IL, and I was invited to the blog by Leif. Last week I had the pleasure of listening to his podcast with Thomas James on EFII, and was very inspired by it.
Ok so I don't want to take up to much of your time, so I will try to make this quick and interesting. I started off as an apprentice at The Artbunch Inc. in Chicago, I had the honor of working with some of the best storyboard artists in the business. While there I put my tria markers to good use and colored their storyboard frames, answered phones, delivered work to clients, and occasionally they would give me pencil and paper to draw something. Eventually I moved on from Artbunch, and freelanced with Famous Frames, this is where more of my professional career started because I was actually getting real jobs and talking to real clients. So then I got an offer to work at a shopper marketing agency called Saatchi & Saatchi X, and I was thrilled to be working in an agency, I mean health benefits, 401k, and a consistent paycheck every two weeks no matter what. Who can beat that, it was a great experience because first of all, I was getting lonely at home all day by myself, second of all it helped my drawing out a lot. I was forced to learn perspective better, because all I drew was in-store interiors. Ok so I worked there for about 1.5 years and got laid off because of the economy and all, but they liked me and my work, so they asked me to be their freelancer. Unfortunately when I started working at the agency I let go of my freelance clients (big mistake, but what can I say, you live and learn). So now returning upon the freelance world, it's a lot different than it was when I first left. I was shocked to see how slow things were. I think I've gone long enough, I will post more in the near future. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. A great first post, Kristen - thanks so much for sharing both the story of your career path (so far) and your gorgeous artwork with us! I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing you good luck getting through this slow spell. How about other readers... have things been slow for you? What strategies have you been using to drum up some new assignments? Please share your thoughts and advice! :^)

    ReplyDelete